What is Culture ?
- Culture is a way of life. The food you eat, the clothes you wear, the language you speak in and the God you worship all are aspects of culture.
- In very simple terms, we can say that culture is the embodiment of the way in which we think and do things.
- It is also the things that we have inherited as members of society. All the achievements of human beings as members of social groups can be called culture. Art, music, literature, architecture, sculpture, philosophy, religion and science can be seen as aspects of culture. .
- However, culture also includes the customs, traditions, festivals, ways of living and one’s outlook on various issues of life.
Which are the two types of Culture ?
- Non Material
. There is a general agreement among social scientists that culture consists of explicit and implicit
patterns of behaviour acquired by human beings.
- Material culture consists of objects that are related to the material aspect of our life such as our dress, food, and household goods.
- Non-material culture refers to ideas, ideals, thoughts and belief.
What is the difference between Culture and Civilization ?
- ‘Civilization’ means having better ways of living and sometimes making nature bend to fulfill their needs. It also includes organizing societies into politically well-defined groups working collectively for improved conditions of life in matters of food, dress, communication, and so on. Thus some groups consider themselves as civilized and look down upon others. This disposition of certain groups has even led to wars and holocausts, resulting in mass destruction of human beings.
- On the other hand ‘culture’ refers to the inner being, a refinement of head and heart. This includes arts and sciences, music and dance and various higher pursuits of human life which are also classified as cultural activities. One who may be poor and wearing cheap clothes may be considered ‘uncivilized’, but still he or she may be the most cultured person.One possessing ostentatious wealth may be considered as ‘civlilized’ but he may not be cultured.
ALL CULTURES HAVE A CIVILIZATION ..BUT ALL CIVILIZATIONS NEED NOT HAVE A CULTURE !!
What is cultural heritage?
Cultural heritage includes all those aspects or values of culture transmitted to human beings
by their ancestors from generation to generation. They are cherished, protected and
maintained by them with unbroken continuity and they feel proud of it.
example -- TajMahal , Dilwara temple etc ...aprt frm this ... contributions of Baudhayan, Aryabhatta,Bhaskaracharya in the field of Mathematics, Astronomy and Astrology; Kanad and Varahmihir in the field of Physics; Nagarjuna in the field of Chemistry, Susruta and Charak in the field of Medicines and Patanjali in the field of Yoga also are a part of Heritage !
also Vedas ,Upanishads nd other literature !
IMPORTANCE OF CULTURE IN HUMAN LIFE ??
- Culture is closely linked with life.
- It is not an add-on, an ornament that we as human beings can use.
- It is not merely a touch of colour. It is what makes us human.
- Without culture,there would be no humans. Culture is made up of traditions, beliefs, way of life, from the most spiritual to the most material. It gives us meaning, a way of leading our lives.
- Human beings are creators of culture and, at the same time, culture is what makes us human.