First question why am I discussing this ?
Mumbai's Juhu beach witnessed a rare natural occurrence that caused the sea to look as if it were lit up with neon blue lights.
jaha pair rakho waha irda girda ka area started glowing blue....is phenomenon ko BIOLUMINESCENCE kehte hai ....woh movie 'LIFE of Pie' yaad aya ?
What is Bioluminescence ?
Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism.
- The light emitted by a bioluminescent organism is produced by energy released from chemical reactions occurring inside (or ejected by) the organism.
- If you’ve ever seen a firefly, you have encountered a bioluminescent organism. In the ocean, bioluminescence is not as rare as you might think.
- In fact, most types of animals, from bacteria to sharks, include some bioluminescent members.
- While the functions of bioluminescence are not known for all animals, typically bioluminescence is used to warn or evade predators), to lure or detect prey, and for communication between members of the same species.
ok then what is Bioflourescence ?
- While some animals in the ocean emit light, some organisms absorb light, transform it, and eject it as a different color.
- This phenomenon, called bioflourescence, may be used in communication and mating.
How can BIOLUMINESCENCE could be used for our benefits ?
- Living light from fireflies, bacteria, and other luminescent creatures could change the way we illuminate our cities, fight cancer, and find toxins in our water.
Moral of the Story !!
Nature never ceases to surprise us. In our daily lives and tiring routines, we forget that we are just a tiny part of nature--the world has a lot more than meets the eyes. If we pay heed to a popular belief which says nature and God are one, then we must never forget the old saying, "God works in mysterious ways." And so does nature.
Q. Fire fly gives us cold light by virtue of the phenomenon of -